The Public Library
Education, Educational Facilities
The first library in Sharjah was founded by His Highness Sheikh Sultan Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, as his private library. In 1951 His Highness Sheikh Saqr Bin Sultan Al Qasimi inherited the Qasimi Library, which in 1956 was then transferred to a new building constructed in the courtyard of the Al Hisn (Sharjah fort). His Highness Sheikh Sultan Bin Mohammed Al Qasimi then gave his instructions to move the library to the Sharjah Municipality building, where it was renamed “Sharjah Library”. In the late 1990s it reopened at University City in an impressive three storey building covering 20,000 square meters. A new library is under construction in the centre of the city providing easy access for the population.